MapPoint Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Why is Bing my Internet Explorer Home Page now?
A. MapPoint 2010 has an “additional features” install. If you left the default settings, MapPoint installed a WindowsLive toolbar, made Bing your default search page in Internet Explorer and your Internet Explorer Home page. You can always change your default browser home page back to anything you choose by using the Internet Properties function of the
Q. Can I open MapPoint 2010 maps in older versions of MapPoint?
A. No. When you open a MapPoint 2004, 2006 or 2009 map in MP 2010, the document will be converted for use in MapPoint 2010. Once it is in MP 2010 format, it cannot be opened by older versions of MapPoint. Opening files from earlier versions converts the files to the MapPoint 2010 format and may change some of the existing formatting. Also note that files from earlier versions of MapPoint may not open properly. You should back up any files from earlier versions of MapPoint before opening them in MapPoint 2010.
Q. Can I show or hide all my pushpins at one time?
A. Yes! MapPoint 2010 now has the ability to show or hide all pushpin balloons at once. Simply right-click on the pushpin legend to reveal the shortcut menu and select “Show All” or “Hide All” pushpin information.
Q. Can I turn off the labels or roads in my map?
A. MapPoint 2010 allows you to customize your map settings to view only the data you want to display on your map. Using the new “Map Settings” icon, you can choose what layers of data to show or hide. This includes roads, cities, boundaries and misc. features like water and forest areas.
Q. What do the SpatialPoint’s Add-Ins do?
A. The SpatialPoint PowerPoint Add-In tool will copy your map and legend windows out of MapPoint, and will paste them into a PowerPoint presentation. The tool will also create a title for the map. The GeoPrinter Add-In will enable anyone to print large format plots. The driver sends the file to a fulfillment house and the plot will arrive in the mail. The Large Image Export Add In will create a high-definition image of your map so that you can print your map to a plotter or other large format printer, without losing resolution.
Q. The icons are so big that I don’t have much room for my map. Can I resize them?
A. Yes, from the “View” Menu, deselect “Large Icons.”
Q. Why should I use MapPoint instead of free maps on the Internet?
A. Although MapPoint maps can be seen on the Internet at sites such as Yahoo, running MapPoint locally gives users ultimate convenience in locating destinations, finding nearby places, and integrating maps into their day-to-day business. MapPoint launches and locates addresses instantly, avoiding slow Internet connections or the inability to get the right-sized maps for the users’ needs. The print options in MapPoint offer unique flexibility and precision in representing data and locations. The multiple layout options also can be used to visualize where users are going with turn-by-turn directions.
Q. How can MapPoint help me do my job better?
< A. MapPoint helps you better visualize your business information, making it easier for you to locate customers and competition, analyze data and business trends, discover risks and opportunities, and communicate business decisions clearly and effectively. Identify new business opportunities by combining business data with included demographics to target potential customers and focus decisions. MapPoint maps are high-quality and precise, allowing visual representation and data analysis that will impress your colleagues, customers & prospects.
Q. How is MapPoint different from Microsoft Streets & Trips?
A. MapPoint includes all the routing capabilities and points of interest content of Streets & Trips, but is predominantly a business mapping application. Streets & Trips does not include business data mapping. Only MapPoint contains the analysis capabilities that enable business users to plot database information and analyze business and demographic information on a map to identify key trends in their businesses.
Q. What are the minimum system requirements for MapPoint 2010?
- PC with 300-MHz or faster processor clock speed
- Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1, Windows® XP with Service Pack 2, or
- Windows Server® 2008 or 2003. (64-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows
- Server excluded)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer® 7.0 (included) required for some functions but it will
- not displace your primary browser
- For Windows Vista: 1 GB of RAM
- For Windows XP: 256 MB of RAM
- Running additional applications simultaneously may require additional memory
- Minimum available hard-disk space: 1.9 GB; some users may require up to an
- extra 300 MB for System Files Update (hard-disk usage will vary depending on
- DVD-ROM drive
- Super VGA (1024 × 768) or higher resolution monitor with 256 colors
- Microsoft Mouse, Microsoft IntelliMouse®, or compatible pointing device
Additional Feature Requirements
- For Voice Output: Any of the operating systems listed in the above system
- requirements and a compatible soundcard
- Microsoft Exchange, Internet SMTP/POP3, IMAP4, or MAPI-compliant messaging
- software required to use Send to Mobile and Send To as attachment; Microsoft
- Office Outlook® 2003 or Office Outlook 2007 required to use Send To as picture
- Broadband Internet service strongly recommended
- Some Internet functionality may require Internet access and payment of a
- separate fee to an Internet service provider; local and/or long-distance telephone
- toll charges may apply
- GPS functionality requires a GPS device that supports NMEA 2.0 or later
- An available COM port
- An available USB port
Q. Where else can I go for help in using MapPoint 2010?
A. There is a Tutorial included in MapPoint that will walk you through the basic functionsof the program, as well as show you how to link & import data and create maps. Fromthe MapPoint Help Menu, select “MapPoint Tutorial” to run. The sample data for usewith the tutorial is installed when you install MapPoint.
MapPoint also comes with a complete Help file, located under the Help menu, as well as
a link to MapPoint Help on the Microsoft web site.
Related Links & Resources
WE SELL ONLY GENUINE MICROSOFT MAPPOINT PRODUCT.
SpatialPoint packages 2 free utilities with all copies of MapPoint:PowerPoint Add-In for quickly placing maps and legends in PowerPoint
Large Image Export Utility for exporting map images up to 3500x3500 pixels for professional printing & presentations